An Open Letter to the Salvation Army

     Generation-Xer here and let me give you a little perspective before I begin.  My mom is elderly, I have siblings that I'm not close to because I was a 'surprise' baby and my mom is just a good person.  As a matter of fact, she's incredible.  She's involved herself in the community for years and what from that I want to give you this letter to the Salvation Army.

    By the way, my mom is a white lady but you may have figured that out.

    Dear Salvation Army,

     A story came out the other day about your organization and 'racism.'  Apparently, you have             ventured into the world of CRT and seem to be on your way to pushing white people to literally apologize for being white.  Oh sure, you're backtracking some and insisting this is just for your donors or  'workers' but how is that literally possible?  If you push CRT among your workers attitudes will carry over and eventually it will cause a lot of people in your organization to essentially treat those who want to either donate or volunteer in your organization like hell and that circles to the donors.  You're hinting that donors should apologize for being white?  Are you kidding me?  Now, you're in denial about it but I don't see you stripping CRT from your organization, as of yet, but I digress.  This story is personal.

    The Salavation Army's venture into the world of woke is  a slap in the face to my elderly mom.  What a smack in the face to my mom...  How?  Well, let me explain something to you.

    My mom was a housewife, I'm a Gen-Xer by the way, so maybe that puts this into some perspective.  I know society sneers at housewifes today but I'm proud of my mother, not only she was a housewife but she was one of the most generous people that I've ever know (and trust me I know a ton of people).  Confused about the was?  Well, she can't do much anymore because arthritis and fading vision.  It's sad really because more than anything she loved helping people.  Let's say this again:

    It was about helping people.

    My mom was a den mother, 4-H volunteer, Brownie mom, Girl Scout mom and room mother.  She also did a ton of church work and that included being the president of the church's women's group.  Being the president, let her do something she enjoyed every Christmas season- getting information about a family in need from the Salvation Army and buying gifts for them on an extremely small budget.  

    When I think about it, it's amazing how far she could make say 600 dollars go.  Any kid in the family usually got their Christmas wish, they also got shoes, nice outfits and the parents always got a nice gift too.  I remember one year she bought one dad some tools and even used some of her own cash.  Granted she didn't buy the the kids video games or some electronic device due to cost but 99% of the time a kid, on my mom's family list got exactly what they wanted.  Let's also consider that any family that my mom shopped for had plenty of good food and even extra things like detergent, dish soap, etc.

    And now, you think all donors should acknowledge 'white privilege?'

    Salvation Army, let me tell you something there is no better human being on the face of the earth than my white mom who did a lot with little money and a ton of effort and I'm sure there are many others out there just like her.  What a smack in the face to her neverending desire to make the community better and to spread some joy at Christmas than to decide to go 'woke' on what's supposed to be the best time of year.  

    As for myself, I've dropped off gifts there, volunteered there, used to buy Angel gifts as well.  I've seen how generous a lot of older, WHITE people have been to your organization due to the fact  they knew you worked your asses off to make a difference, to help all people and to stay out of politics. Keep your CRT Salvation Army, keep moaning about 'white privilege' but I'll tell you one thing.

    You're not getting anymore of my money.  I truly feel bad about that statement but in the end, if I kept giving you money during the holidays- how do I know it's going to a needy family?  It sounds like that you're more worried about being 'woke' than anything else.

    Signed,

    A Gen-Xer

Comments

Popular Posts