The Michael Rosfeld Verdict

As you know, a verdict is back in the Antwon Rose case, and note, it you're reading this I don't need to go into details about the case due to the fact it's common knowledge.  Here's my reaction to Michael Rosfeld being found 'not guilty:'

I'm surprised, yet not surprised.

I know, that sounds incredibly lame. It is incredibly lame but let me continue.

I was 95% sure the jury would make an example of this guy.  Personally, I don't understand how cops can get away with being so trigger-happy but, in the end, it's entirely possible that the jury wanted out of town and took the information from the one witness that said Rosfeld 'went by the book,' seriously.  Who knows? I wasn't on the jury and unlike the land of Twitter, I can't read minds.  I'm talking possibilities.  One thing is for certain, Rosfeld had one of the best defense attorneys in the city and should feel lucky that he got off.

Let me also remind many of you that there were a couple of black jury members, many would say that wasn't enough but there were some on the jury but let's move on.

Like I said- this jury could've easily wanted out of the city.  They also could've indirectly heard the Rose attorney talking all week and just got fed-up with all of the rhetoric.  Who knows?  You could also say that the prosecutor should've dragged this case out to make the trial end on a Monday, guaranteeing (perhaps) more time for deliberations.  The fact that this trial ended yesterday didn't do this case any favors but hey- who can really make predictions?  People seem predictable but, in the end, they can surprise you with their motivations.

By rights it should be hard for an every day blogger or journalist to even comment about this case.  I never trained to be a cop- I can't say for certainty how cops are taught.  I do think the fact that the defense finding someone to say Rosfeld did everything 'by the book,' was extremely impactful.  I just hope a lot of people in this city don't do anything dumb in the upcoming days.  It's extremely worrisome that people who had nothing to do with this incident now have to worry if their city will be vandalized due to a court verdict.

As weak as this sounds, I sympathize with the Rose family.  I think Rosfeld should've at least went to jail for involuntary manslaughter.  However, until a lot of people change on both sides a lot of these tragedies are going to continue and that in itself is pathetic.

Comments

Popular Posts