A Word On John Lewis

          All the respect for Representative John Lewis, who was laid to rest today.  Anyone involved with the Civic Rights movement deserves respect.  However…

          Name me one thing John Lewis did as a representative.  Go ahead.  I’ll wait.

          *Fingers tapping*

          Okay, you would think that a Civil Rights ‘icon’ who was a representative for 30 years would have some kind of distinguished record right?  It would only make sense.  However, just admit it, a lot of you (like me) never heard of this guy until 2016 when he fawned all over Hillary Clinton and bashed Bernie Sanders.  Go ahead, admit it, you know it’s true.

          Ah well, I always ask for the impossible.

          I am a Generation-X female and I went to high school where you learned about history, civics, etc.  I have no memory of ever hearing John Lewis’s name.  His Civil Rights work is to be commended, don’t get me wrong, but again I have no memory of ever learning about this guy.  Oh of course, my school was racist, the history book writer was racist, blah, blah, blah.

          It’s sad that Mr. Lewis died and I wouldn’t wish pancreatic cancer on anyone.  However, we have a problem in America that we’re always looking for heroes.  Sure, Mr. Lewis was a hero to some but to paint him as icon to all of America just to make the democratic party feel better is flat-out wrong and insulting.  John Lewis did a lot of good in his Civil Rights work but please, stop the dishonesty of his heroism.  The man contributed nothing in the House to make anyone’s life better in America and all of the riots are definitely proof of that.


Comments

Popular Posts